Swimming Pools and Spas
Environmental HealthSarasota EH Office
Sarasota Office Location
1001 Sarasota Center Blvd
Sarasota, FL 34240
Pool SchoolAll public swimming pools must be maintained by a certified operator to maintain acceptable sanitary conditions and to minimize the possibility of a waterborne disease outbreak.
The person who is directly responsible for the pool operation is required to complete a training course known as Pool School. This course must be conducted or approved by the DOH-Sarasota. The course covers basic pool water chemistry, filter system operation and maintenance, and general swimming pool sanitation.
Pool School is available in person and online.
Rules, Regulations and General Info
- Florida Administrative Code 64E-9
The regulatory document for the design, construction, and operation of pools
- Sarasota County Code of Ordinances, Section 62-211-223, Article VII
Governs public swimming pools & bathing places in Sarasota County
- Pool contractor licensing information [27KB PDF]
This document is provided for your information should you wish to obtain a license to become a pool contractor ("pool guy"). Environmental Health Services does NOT regulate residential pool contractors. Contact us for more information on Sarasota County pool contractor requirements.
- Technician Certification Courses Approved By Florida Department Of Health for contractors and pool service business owners
- Florida Standards for Chemicals in Swimming Pools [73KB PDF]
As set forth by Florida Administrative Code 64E-9
- How to Use Your Test Kit [101KB PDF]
General information about using a pool chemical test kit
Forms and Applications
Visit the Florida Department of Health's Swimming Pools page for the following forms:
- Monthly swimming pool log
- Application for Exemption Status, more than 32 Units (DH1704)
- Application for Exemption Status, 32 or Fewer Units (DH4065)
- Application for Approval of Swimming Pool Plans (DH914)
- Application for a Swimming Pool Operating Permit/Authorization (DH916)
- Virginia Graeme Baker Act Main Drain Retrofit Acknowledgement Form
- Entrapment Protection Verification Form
- And others
Contact us for a copy of
- Pools Facility Change of Owner Notification Form
A fee of $50 is due upon submission.
- Notification of Public Swimming Pool Resurfacing Project
A local form for contractors