SMH to Host Special Vaccination Event for People 65 and Older this Weekend
January 06, 2021
Sarasota Memorial Hospital is partnering with the Florida Department of Health (DOH) in Sarasota
SARASOTA (Jan. 6, 2021) – With the COVID-19 vaccine in very short supply locally, Sarasota Memorial Hospital is partnering with the Florida Department of Health (DOH) in Sarasota to administer thousands of COVID-19 vaccinations to community members age 65 and older at a special immunization event taking place this weekend at SMH.
SMH is using its own supply of the Moderna vaccine to inoculate up to 3,000 people 65 and older on Saturday, Jan. 9 and Sunday, Jan. 10, in the hospital auditorium. The SMH health care team, including its pharmacists, nurses, clinicians and support staff, will administer the vaccine.
“We have led efforts to fight COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic. Now, it’s a great privilege to play a leading role in distributing the vaccine and helping our federal, state and community partners protect this vulnerable population and defeat COVID-19,” said David Verinder, president and CEO of Sarasota Memorial Health Care System.
To be eligible, you must be at least 65 years old and remain in Sarasota County to receive your second-round shot 28 days after your first vaccination. SMH will schedule a follow-up event to administer a second dose to everyone who receives a vaccination at this weekend’s event.
Chuck Henry, administrator with DOH Sarasota, said “We’re pleased that Sarasota Memorial is offering some of their vaccines to the community and electing to host the clinics at their facility. We’re happy to support them for this weekend’s event.”
APPOINTMENTS & INFORMATION
- The special community vaccination event at SMH is by appointment only. Registration is slated to begin at 3:30 p.m. today through the Eventbrite scheduling program accessed from the DOH Sarasota website at: www.sarasotahealth.org or simply click (fdohsarasota.eventbrite.com)
- Reserve your appointment slot and download and read the “Covid-19 Vaccine Screening and Consent Form.” (Note, when scheduling your appointment, you may need to refresh your browser for an updated schedule.) “Covid-19 Vaccine Screening and Consent Form.”
- On the day of your appointment, bring your Eventbrite registration ticket or a screenshot, a valid form of identification and completed Department of Health “Covid-19 Vaccine Screening and Consent Form” to the hospital auditorium (first floor), 1700 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota. Anyone not able to print a ticket (reservation) may show it to us on their cell phone.
- Reserved parking will be available in the hospital’s adjacent Waldemere Garage. Public Safety personnel will confirm your registration and help direct you to a designated parking space in the garage. Parking is limited – we ask that individuals arrive for their designated appointment no more than 15 minutes before their appointment slot.
- Take the A elevator to the first floor. Masks are required and will be provided at the entrance if needed. Greeters will take your temperature and direct you through the check-in process. Do not show up for your appointment if you develop any symptoms of illness.
- Please wear a sleeveless top or shirt with loose-fitting sleeves to give nurses access to your upper arm/shoulder (no privacy screens available).
- Those with limited mobility should bring their own walker or wheelchair.
- This event is reserved for seniors age 65 and older. Separate vaccination centers are available for SMH employees, physicians and community healthcare workers.