- Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers.
- Did you know 1 in 5 homes in Florida has an elevated radon level?
- Radon is a naturally occurring, odorless, colorless, tasteless, and radioactive gas produced from the radioactive decay of radium, found in most soils and earthen construction materials.
- Radon is the single largest source of radiation exposure in the U.S.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that radon is responsible for more than 21,000 lung cancer deaths per year in the U.S. (about one person every 25 minutes).
- U.S. Surgeon General recommends all houses be tested for radon.
- The only way to know if your home is at risk for radon is to test for it.
Local Pick-Up Locations for your Radon Test Kit
Test your home FREE OF CHARGE by picking up a Radon test kit at one of the following FLDOH – Sarasota locations:
- 4000 S. Tamiami Trail Venice, FL 34293 - Environmental Health Department
- 1001 Sarasota Center Blvd. Sarasota, FL 34240 – Environmental Health Department
For more information visit our webpage at radon.floridahealth.gov